Skip section navigation (navigation may have changed)
Want to look and feel your best? Physical activity can help with that — and more. Being active can boost sleep, build self-esteem, and bust stress. Being active can even help protect you from serious health problems, like diabetes, obesity, and heart trouble.
It can be hard to find the time — and the motivation — to get active. But girlshealth.gov is here to help! Check out the links and video below for workout tips for girls and other great info.
In this section, you can find out:
- Why exercise is important
- All about fitness basics
- What kinds of physical activity you need
- How hard you should work during physical activity
- Ways to make a fitness plan that works for you
- How playing sports helps your body and your life
- Ways to keep from getting hurt while working out
- What girls are doing to stay fit and have fun
You also can take a fitness quiz to exercise your brain! And get inspired to move with this video:
Are you confused about what physical fitness and physical activity are? Check out this info:
What is physical fitness? top
Physical fitness means you can do everyday tasks without getting too worn out. It means:
- Your lungs and heart send enough oxygen through your body for you to be active.
- Your muscles and bones are strong.
- You have good flexibility for things like bending and stretching.
What is physical activity? top
Basically, physical activity is anything that gets your body moving. Here are some ways you can be physically active:
- You can do a type of "exercise," which means an organized activity, like an aerobics class.
- You can take up a sport or join a team.
- You can do activities on your own, like jogging or climbing a tree.
Content last reviewed March 27, 2015
Page last updated June 22, 2015