Making new friends
Sometimes, you just feel like branching out and meeting new people. Most of us need different friends for different things. Some friends are great for sharing deep secrets, and others are right for just plain fun. And some are both!
Miles of smiles
Most of us feel a little alone or down at times. Check out this web app to see how far kindness travels. You can get friendly messages from around the world. Plus, you can spread a little joy yourself.
Sometimes, you want new friends because your old friends have been getting in trouble. You can try to help your friends, but it's very important to take care of yourself. If ending the friendship is tough, an adult can offer ideas and support.
It can take practice to figure out how to make new friends. Don't worry if you feel a little shy. The other person may feel exactly the same way and may be very glad you reached out.
You can learn to make new friends. Check out these tips:
- Join in! Get involved in activities that interest you, such as sports, clubs, or volunteering. You'll find people with similar interests.
- Say hi. Introduce yourself to someone new. Repeat the person's name to help you remember it.
- Ask questions. People often love to talk about themselves. Ask where someone got her outfit or what she thinks of the teacher.
- Practice. Are you afraid you'll get tongue-tied? Try out some ideas with an old friend, a sibling, or a parent (or even a patient dog)!
- Listen well. Make eye contact, and avoid distractions like your phone.
- Be warm. Most people appreciate a friendly smile or a kind word.
- Be polite. If someone says something nice to you, make sure to say "thank you."
- Suggest something. Do you have a hard time making conversation? Suggest that you and your new friend do an activity together, like going for a jog or watching a movie.
- Be patient. It can take time to make new friends. Try not to come on too strong by doing things like texting the person many times a day.
- Take a risk. You can't succeed unless you try. Remember, a great new friend may be waiting for you!
Content last reviewed September
Page last updated November 02, 2015