Not only can bullying hurt someone’s feelings, it can have other more serious effects. Some problems can even last until you are an adult! Bullying can play a role in:
- Sadness, hurt feelings, loneliness, and depression
- Poor body image, low self-esteem, and even eating disorders, especially when teased about weight
- Skipping school, bad grades, and being afraid to go to school
- Headaches, stomach aches, and anxiety
- Trouble sleeping
- Thoughts and acts of suicide, in very bad cases
Bullying others or being bullied can hurt someone both physically and emotionally — and have effects even after you become an adult!
If you are being bullied by someone, it’s ok to ask for help if you are experiencing any of the effects listed above. Teachers, parents, a doctor or nurse, and other trusted adults should be able to help you. Girlshealth.gov can also help you learn about how to stop a bully.
Content last reviewed July 24, 2013
Page last updated October 31, 2013